Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New designs

I've finally thrown enough stuff that I am getting back to carving, and I've decided to try and stay away from vertical stripes for at least a little while.  I did this step design, which is somewhat simplified from the original design (if you go find where I posted the sketches I did I'll give you a prize). I am pretty happy with the way this guy turned out.  The lid could have been a little bit more curved, but I still like it.  I'm still experimenting with the little lug handles; I'm not sure if I like this design or the one on the previous post better.

Then there is this design! (below) I really like it, and I think I will experiement with it on a few more forms.  It takes a bit longer to get the design sketched on , but it's a pretty quick carve since there is not that much surface to carve out.  Pretty much the opposite of the jar above.



This one I'm not so happy with... I decided to try out some horizontal stripes to get away from the vertical ones.  However, A) its much much harder to carve a horizontal line straight, especially when it goes all the way around the pot, and B) I just don't really like the way it looks.  Not the worst thing ever, but I think it's kind of ugly.  I tried making different sized lines to make it more ... engaging or something... but if I do this again it will just be regular stripes.  But I probably won't, becasue it's a huge pain.

Annnd a random update on my poor little doggy. He has had a lump in his side for about a month, and my mom (also his veternarian) figured it was an infection, and gave him some antibiotics.  The lump went away, but the second she took him off the meds it came back, so she finally decided to cut him open and see whats up.  It turns out he had some speargrass inside of him! I had read that this could happen; something about the way the grass is shaped allows it to work its way inside of a dogs body! In really bad cases they can get all the way into the lungs or heart!  Ki didn't have it nearly that bad, and now he just has to have a big bandage to keep him from licking at the incision constantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment