Monday, September 27, 2010

Project Clayplay at Kealing

This sat I had a great time helping out with a Project ClayPlay event at Kealing Middle School.  ClayPlay is a non-profit started by the owner of Clayways Studio and Gallery on Burnet; they have an old airstream trailer that they have fitted out to be mobile studio, which they take to various locations to allow children who could not afford classes at Clayways to play with clay.  In addition to some grants, the non-profit ventures are supported by paid birthday parties, corporate team building events, etc.

We just gave any kid that looked interested a chunk of clay and let them do whatever.  I suggested pinch pots or little plaques, but a lot of them made some great little sculptures.  This girl made a super cute little dog.

It was pretty hot outside and in, but at least we had a fan running! At one point we had the table outside full, and people standing inside.  There were enough kids coming in and out that it was hard to do much in the way of teaching, but they had fun and I had fun watching them make stuff.

I've also managed to get a bit of carving done at home, though I haven't had time to get back to the studio much in the last week.  I've been helping Ryan out with his stuff, but I need to get in to throw at some point.  The break has been helpful with my back though, I think I'm making progress, and I hope to get rid of the last of this stiffness in the next couple weeks!

I am really excited about these two bowls, I found a new way to use stripes!  Stripes are the easiest design, and I love the way they look, and making them slant like this is really not much more difficult, but gives the bowls an interesting 'twist'.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment